Top 10 Cybersecurity Awareness TipsIT Resource
Cybersecurity can be a tricky thing to navigate and malicious activity is getting more sophisticated by the day. It’s a good idea to remind yourself, and your teammates, of the best practices when it comes to staying safe online. October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month and to help celebrate, we’re sharing 10 cybersecurity tips to help keep your organization safe.
- Don’t click on direct links (in emails, text messages, etc.), especially those that are asking you to enter sensitive information. It’s best to go directly to the source.
- Don’t overshare on social media. These details can provide hackers with your location, ammunition to craft spear phishing attacks, and answers to security questions. Think before you share.
- Don’t go “out of bounds” for communication. E.g. if you’re buying something on eBay, and the other party wants to negotiate via email instead of the bidding system.
- Never reuse passwords between any website or service.
- Always be skeptical of any unexpected invoice, or request to get or pay for anything by using gift cards.
- Never answer authentication recovery questions (e.g. What is your mother’s maiden name?) with real answers. Unfortunately, that means you’ll have to write down each question and answer for each website that require them, but you’ll be far less likely to have your account hijacked.
- It is ok to speak to (confirm with) an email sender’s request to transfer that $30,000 by the end of the day, even if it is your boss. Better safe than sorry.
- Know who to report any suspicious emails to at your workplace. Don’t delete the email – report it.
- Invest in a password management tool – ain’t nobody got the time to remember all those passwords!
- Be vigilant with suspicious SMS messages. Your bank will NEVER ask you to access your account from an SMS.
Download the Cybersecurity Awareness Tip infographic.
If you need help navigating cybersecurity at your workplace, or would like to implement an employee awareness training platform, give us a call. Our team of security experts is here to help!
This infographic was made by our partners at KnowBe4.